Connect.BarcodeofLife.net

international online community for dna barcoding professionals

Welcome to Connect, the DNA Barcoder community network!

We hope this network will be a place for communication and collaboration on a global scale, overcoming the rather dispersed nature of DNA barcoder researchers and enthusiasts. 

As a first step, why not introduce yourself to the community via the comment box below? Including your name, institution, interest in DNA barcoding, and what you hope to get from this community would be a great way to start.

Views: 4235

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello! My name is Dina Kovarik, Program Manager for the Bio-ITEST Program at the Northwest Association for Biomedical Research (NWABR). We are partnering with Digital World Biology, the EdLab Group, Seattle Aquarium and high school teachers from around the country to develop and disseminate high school science curricula about bioinformatics, barcoding, and evolution. Our work is funded by the Innovative Technology Experiences for Students and Teachers (ITEST) program through the National Science Foundation, and includes curriculum development, professional development workshops for teachers, and on-going support for teachers and students in their classrooms. The Seattle Aquarium has graciously agreed to provide samples for authentic student research barcode projects. We are very excited to be part of this Barcode of Life community, to learn more about barcoding projects, and connect with others who would like to be involved with our work.

Hi Dina,

That sounds like a great project...how is it going?  I'd love to hear more!  I did avian ecology and reproductive ecology research with high school students in MO, and that was so rewarding!  What species have you all worked with to date?  I'm about to start sequencing my shellfish species here in NC.  Are your high school students actually doing the sequencing?  Or are they working with other researchers at local universities?  I'm just interested in connecting with people who are/have been barcoding marine species, especially bivalves. If you know of anyone with experience with those species, I'd love a referral/introduction.

Best,

Lyndell

Hi! I'm Sandra Lorena Ament, I'm starting to work at the Genetics and Evolution laboratory under the guidence of Daniel Piñero, in the Instituto de Ecología of the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México. My proyect involves lichens of the genus Usnea and I'll try to use barcoding. I'm just starting so I hope I can get some help :D!
hello I am meenakshi planning to work on spiders I want to do barcodind of the spider which i am having but i am not getting the way out. I am a PH D student in India.
Dear Meenakshi,

This URL links to an article on spider barcoding. A brief protocol is given on page 32 of the article (which is page 6 of the PDF.)

http://pensoftonline.net/zookeys/index.php/journal/article/view/239...

The description is very brief, but the authors used two different primer sets that are very commonly used here at BIO. One was the "tailed Folmer" set, LCO1490_t1 + HCO2198_t1. The products are then sequenced with M13 forward and reverse sequencing primers. The other pair was LepF1 + LepR1, which were developed for Lepidoptera but work well in many other arthropods. These products are sequenced with the same primers used for amplification.

You can find information about these primers at the URL below:

http://www.boldsystems.org/views/primerlist.php

Best wishes for a successful project!
-- Julie Stahlhut
Dear Julie
thanks for the reply . The link which you had send me thats very helpful but the barcoding requires a 96 well plate setting do you have a idea from where i could get that set up
Meenakshi
Dear Meenakshi,

I'm not sure what you mean by a 96-well plate setting. Are you going to send specimens to a different laboratory, or are you doing the sequencing reactions yourself?

-- Julie
Dear julie,
actually I would like to send the specimen to laboratory but I dont have information where its done in India and if I do on my own then I am not having set up just I am having protocol could you help me out please.
Meenakshi
Dear Dr. Meenakshi,
one of my student is working on spiders from Maharashtra state, you can plan to come with your samples at our facility or else send the samples we can do barcodig for spiders,

---GD
hi Meenaksi, am vadivalagan, c working in DNA barcoding in snakes in the department of zoology Bharathiar university, coimbatore 46 if you need some basic idea i will give you what ever may be in the field i can give you. please give me your details and what do you want

thank yoy
where do you work meenakshi, i would be happy to provide help and guidence

Dear meenakshi I know one person who is a student of Dr. D. B. Bastawade. He works on the theraphosidae. you can contact him or even talk to me (although i am working on amphibians). You have not specified where you work and what kind of facilities you ahve in your lab. I can suggest you even some good places where you can send your DNA samples of interest for sequencing. They are prety cheap. So you have to make you problems a little bit more clear.

with warm regards

RSS

Translate

Tory's site-wide code

New to the Connect network?

Watch our Intro Webinar

Introduce yourself to the Connect community

Write a blog post

Ask a question

Tory's code

© 2017   Created by Mike Trizna.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service