Connect.BarcodeofLife.net

international online community for dna barcoding professionals

Welcome to Connect, the DNA Barcoder community network!

We hope this network will be a place for communication and collaboration on a global scale, overcoming the rather dispersed nature of DNA barcoder researchers and enthusiasts. 

As a first step, why not introduce yourself to the community via the comment box below? Including your name, institution, interest in DNA barcoding, and what you hope to get from this community would be a great way to start.

Views: 4234

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Pamoda, 

I work with fishes, I have no idea about mosquitoes.  Sorry and good luck!

Tamara

Hello Everybody, 

Myself P SHIV SHEKHAR SESHENDRA from India working on DNA Barcoding of Deep Sea Crabs of Eastern Coast of India. What type of Procedures are being followed right now to isolate DNA from crabs? I have read about ANDE method of Non destructive DNA Isolation. But will it give High Quality DNA and moreover how is it prepared?

If anybody have information in this regard please post me.

Thanking you

Hea, I am  sehrish Javed from pakistan. Currently doing my bachelors in applied bio-science from NUST, Islamabad.I have joined this community to learn from you guys about your projects and how'd you cope up with your work. 
Thanks for letting me join.. Hope to be a part of this group real soon 

Greetings my colleagues, I am Dr Echi Paul Chinedu, a Parasitologist in the area of  ecological parasitology. Presently teach at the university of Nigeria Nsukka high college. I have so much interest in using DNA barcoding to elucidate taxonomic standings of many fish parasites and other animal groups. I have published some works on fish parasites and even a book, January 2013 on the first record of co-infection of clinostomatid infections by Lambart Academic Press in Germany.

I would be grateful to find a good postdoctoral laboratory to further my work on some of these areas. Thanks.

Hello Everyone;

My self Priyanka Mishra, working as Phd Scholar with CSIR CIMAP, Lucknow India. I am involved in the project "Bioprospection of plant resources and other natural products " with the main attributes on:- 

Searching of barcodes with the desirable attributes which include genomic region/ locus (Plastid – matK / rbcL or Nuclear ribosomal DNA) is most suitable for barcoding in medicinal plants;  study of the effectiveness of intra specific variations in the uniqueness of barcodes; along with the development of barcodes.

I hope this community will provide us a wide base to share our ideas and views with each other and will be very fruitful to get the knowledge form the mind of such an eminent personalities involved in the study of DNA Barcoding, for the scholars like me , who are in learning phase of their doctoral period.

Thanks

Sincere regards

Priyanka Mishra

Phd Scholar

CSIR-CIMAP

Lucknow (UP)

India

Hello,

My name is Taha Alhersh, and I am applying machine learning methods in biological data. I am working on a project for DNA sequences classification. We have started with DNA sequences from 4 bacteria species (Aquifex aeolicus, Bacillus subtilis, Aeropyrum pernix and Buchnera sp) and the classification accuracy achieved is 95.85 %.

Thanks

-Taha

Hello!

I am Nurlisa Butet and currently as a lecturer at the Department of Aquatic Resources Management - Faculty of Fisheries and Marine Science, Bogor Agricultural University INDONESIA.

My ongoing research with my colleagues focus on Barcoding for bivalve cockles, pearl oyster, sand crab, tuna, as well as gene expression on bivalve cockles and pearl oyster.

I would like to broaden knowledge on DNA barcoding and gene expression as well.  Could anyone share information on international training or workshop on those issues?

Many thanks,

Nurlisa Butet

Dep. Aquatic Resources Management

Faculty of Fisheries and Marine Science

Bogor Agricultural University

Indonesia

Hi Nurlisa, 

Nice to meet you!  I work in the Interuniversity Institute for Marine Sciences in Eilat, Israel. I'm lab technician and  managing a research project in which DNA Barcode is  essential part. We  focus on fishes and larval fishes of the Eilat Gulf. 

There will be a workshop on Paris, France, and the dead line for registration is the 10th January, may be you are on time. I think is international, I hope!  Here is the link 

http://www.taxonomytraining.eu/content/dna-barcoding-course-2

If you hear about any other workshop and training course, I will be happy to hear as well. 

Good luck!

Tamara

Tamara Gurevich Raguso

Lab Manager- Functional Morphology Laboratory
The Interuniversity Institute for Marine Sciences in Eilat

Dear Dr. Gupta,

Now there is a sequence reporting by my student for the genera Punctius, (for the fish species Punctius ticto) barcode report from Nepal, NCBI Acc # KF742441. It seems as not reported from other places.

Hi, all of barcode community. Iam biologist from Bogota, Colombia interesting in mamalian barcode. I think it is really amaizing project, hope some day we can recognize and individual really easy. My research interest is molecular genetics of animals.

Hope I can share many things with all of you and be in touch with this topic.

A plesure to know all of you.

Janeth

Hello There!

I am an independent philosopher and researcher from Turkey. I have been working on a project about data mining, symbiosis and a biology based universal measure. The Project is called episteme spacecraft and I propose three scientific experiments that will increase our knowledge about meaningful data, symbiosis and astrobiology exponentially.

The premise is that Earth that is thriving with life and that it is the primary and ultimate symbiosis. Earth as a universal measure to understand all life can only work if we can find a way to correlate the planet specific data (from a source such as OpenNEX of NASA) with the biological data (from a source such as BarcodeofLife). What is more, I also believe that we have good data in our hands to figure out the symbiosis of the Earth and the Moon as well as the solar system in general. I postulate that through three scientific experiments and steps we can start to talk about the DNA of the Earth and its relation to suns spectrum and that we will have a way to understand non-carbon based life forms (if there is such a thing).

The idea is that we could take the image, sound and electrical data of a living organism and correlate it with its DNA and form a database with as many species as possible and in turn when looking at a new organism (even an alien organism) we could program that database to produce a DNA from just the sound and electrical data.

I will put in a blog entry in my profile here to explain further and you can always check my websites.

I am looking to collaborate with statisticians, laboratories, astrobiologists and anyone who may be interested in such a project.

Regards,

Alphan Vardarlı

http://episteme-spacecraft.blogspot.com.tr/

FYI, DNA data is available for several hundred species at NCBI. You just have to generate visual, sound and electrical data for them. Saving your money :-)

Good luck!!

RSS

Translate

Tory's site-wide code

New to the Connect network?

Watch our Intro Webinar

Introduce yourself to the Connect community

Write a blog post

Ask a question

Tory's code

© 2017   Created by Mike Trizna.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service