Connect.BarcodeofLife.net

international online community for dna barcoding professionals

Welcome to Connect, the DNA Barcoder community network!

We hope this network will be a place for communication and collaboration on a global scale, overcoming the rather dispersed nature of DNA barcoder researchers and enthusiasts. 

As a first step, why not introduce yourself to the community via the comment box below? Including your name, institution, interest in DNA barcoding, and what you hope to get from this community would be a great way to start.

Views: 2820

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello,

I am Sourajyoti Chakraborty, undergraduate student majoring in Zoology at Karimganj College, Assam University. Its in one of the remotest areas of North-Eastern India. I am very much interested in Systematic Zoology and I was very much amazed when I learnt that many new species are being discovered based on DNA Barcoding. Thus my interest grew in DNA Barcoding. Neither I have any access to the infrastructure required for Barcoding nor I am involved in any research projects, but still to know and learn the basics I joined CBOL.

I also want to attend workshops, seminars, webinars on DNA Barcoding techniques and get some hands on training. So any information about such activities in India from anyone will be more than welcome.

Seeking support,

With warm regards,

Sourajyoti Chakraborty.

Dear Kris,

My group is ants (Formicidae: Hymenoptera), taxonomy, conservation, ecology and evolutionary biology, apart from DNA barcoding. I am already associated with Formicidae Barcode of Life (FIBOL) and it would be nice if I am able to discuss/participate in CBOL discussions.

Hi!

I'm Reli Ann Faye Rogado, an undergraduate majoring in Computer Science at the University of the Philippines - Los Baños. I'm currently on the stage of mapping out the methodology for my special problem proposal and I'm proposing a web-based repository of DNA barcodes of endemic chickens in the Philippines.

I still don't have a clear plan on how I'm going to implement the repository. Hence, I have joined this community with the hopes of getting some assistance to help me understand the workflow of DNA barcoding especially in the aspects of database generation and management.

I am intessafdfsrested in the management of barcode data
Hi all DNA Barcoders
Hi Kris
i am Mustafa S. Faddagh, Ph.D. in Molecular Ecology. I am working in Marine Science Center-Univ. of Basrah-Iraq.
I am interesting in Fish species DNA barcoding both marine and fresh water fishes in Iraq.
I hope from colleagues in barcode of life connect community inform me how to do my work in the correct direction of fish DNA barcoding and as I mentioned before that I need to train on bioinformatic processing of the DNA data. Thanks to Kris and all colleagues.

Mustafa
Hello, my name is Denis SERENO and  i am an IRD (Institut de Recherche pour le developpement). I work on Leishmaniasis and more particularly on factors that affect leishmania transmission by sandfly. My research interrest is now focusing on the influence of the origin of sugar meal taken by sandfly on i) biology and physiology of sandfly ii) on the intravectorial development of the leishmania parasite.  To this aim i would like to identify the origin of the sugar meal taken by sandfly by using barecoding. I am mainly working in the mediterranean region.

I am plant science student working as Head Department of Botany at Shri Chhatrapati Shivaji College, Omerga.
I want to be person with Open hearted, Optimistic and loyal friends todevelop scientific & visionary community to share knowledge & information.

I have completed my Graduate Studies at Amravati University, Amravati in 1995 and received his M. Sc. degree with specialization in Angiosperm Taxonomy and Ph.D. degree in Ethnobotany from Amravati University, Amravati.

I have been worked as  Research Fellow for 2 years in National Environmental Engineering Research Institute, Nagpur (INDIA). I have been active research team member on many Environmental Impact Assessment Studies.

I have been nominated as Honorary Forest Taxonomist by Conservator of Forests, Nagpur Division, Nagpur (India) for the period 2002-2005. I have been acted as Plant taxonomist in Madhughat Project sponsored by Finance Department, Zilla Parishad Amravati from 1997-2001. 

Presntly I am serving at the Shri Chhatrapati Shivaji College, Omerga (affiliated to Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad, India) as a Assistant Professor & Head, Department of Botany since 2005.
I am  involved in the administration board of the college as member of IQAC (Internal Quality Assurance Cell) last 05 years.

Since 2001 my research has focused on Ethnobotanical Studies. I have published one reference publication entitled " Additions to the Flora of Melghat" (1999), Twelve (12) research papers in National and international Journals. 

I am teaching Diversity of Microbes, Cryptogamic diversity, Angiosperm & Gymnosperms diversity, Ecology and Environment, Economic Botany & Ethnobotany, etc.  since 1999 at the colleges and Insititutions.

what information you want from this community?

hiii   

i have to work as a team man.and how can i help.and any role of Bioinformatics is there.how to work.please reply me.

Thank you

That is so nice of you to extend such a technical help to barcoders. It will definetely help many new barcoders to achieve their goals with confidence. All the best.

My name is Lyam Paul, A scientific officer with National Center for genetic Resources and Biotechnology NACGRAB, Ibadan, Nigeria. I am interested in utilizing DNA barcoding technique for the proper Identification, conservation and sustainable utility of indigenous plant species in Nigeria especially species with endangered and threatened conservation status. I am hoping that this community will connect me to a network of scientist with an in-dept knowledge of DNA barcoding and who i can easily contact in the course of applying the technique especially in situations where clarity is required to arrive at a decision. I also hope to be updated on DNA barcoding progress from different groups as this can enhance my knowledge of barcoding, the Centre i work for and Nigeria at large.

I express my sincere delight in joining the barcode community.

Hi! I am Prasanna, PhD student under Dr. S. Ajmal Khan at Faculty of Marine Science, Annamalai University.

Nice to see people here concerned deep in DNA barcoding. We have initiated a program in DNA barcoding on 2007 and so far we have completed barcoding 203 species of marine fauna including fin fishes, shell fishes, bivalves, ect. The forte of our centre is biodiversity were one can find taxonomist to any marine phyla. If not exaggerating, we are the first to initiate barcoding activity in India. Currently we are working with egg mass and other inanimate materials from Ocean for barcoding. The recent ongoing project on detecting mobility of eggs and larvae in marine system using DNA barcodes is adding fuel to our growing DNA barcode database.. I would love to hear and discuss with colleagues working on dna barcoding in marine realm.. cheers!!!

Hello!

Greetings, everyone! I am Seethapathy and im working in Institute of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine, Bangalore, India. As a  research scholar, currently developing Molecular markers for the authentication of  Medicinal plants from its adulterants and substitutes by using ITS primers.. and i have desire to establish this work up to DNA barcoding. im keep on reading the published articles and other datas about Barcoding.

I would be glad to know whether anybody else may be interested in DNA Barcoding for the medicinal plants used in Ayurveda i could be useful for me...

RSS

Translate

Tory's site-wide code

New to the Connect network?

Watch our Intro Webinar

Introduce yourself to the Connect community

Write a blog post

Ask a question

Tory's code

© 2014   Created by Mike Trizna.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service